My Photo
Name:
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Stop 10: Civil War: 1922

CIVIL WAR EXECUTIONS.

• “Reprisal” nature of executions
• Summary nature of executions
• The personal relationships devastated by the divisive issue
• The execution of Rory O’Connor
• The Public Safety Act, 1922
• Bodies returned to the families.
• Quote from Dev in his letter to Molly Childers.
• How the executions did not have the same ideological impact as those of 1916 or the War of Independence.

• The letter of James Fisher:

Dear Mother,

I am now awaiting the supreme penalty at 7 O’clock in the morning but I am perfectly happy, because I’ve seen the Priest and I am going to die a good Catholic and a soldier of the Irish Republic. Don’t worry or cry for me, but pray for the repose of my soul and my three comrades. I asked to see you, but they say that they would see what they could do.

Ask all my friends and comrades to pray for me and Dick and my two comrades. Mother I would just love one look at all the faces at home, yours above all, but seemly that is denied me. I get everything I want now, which as you know is the usual stunt. Mother my heart grieves for one look at your dear face; but please God I will meet you and them in heaven. I picture how this will effect you, but Mother don’t fret, for remember I am happy. The Priest here is going to get to me to hear my confession, and I will receive at the altar in the morning.

Lord Jesus give me courage in my last moments. If I had only got told on my sentence I would have been well prepared before now. Oh Mother if I could only see you, just again. Don’t fret Mother because I am happy.

To my Mother I dearly love, goodbye, goodbye, goodbye.

We will meet again in heaven please God, Mother.

God Strengthen you in this ordeal Mother.

I am to die for Ireland.

- J.B. Fisher.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home